Monday, March 9, 2009

A Few Random Thoughts

Auntie Barb suggested that I make my posts shorter and more frequent so this is my first try. I also want to take this time to send a shout out to my uncle Jeff in Madison, I know he reads this :)

First of all lots of people ask me what I plan to do with my engineering degree. Pretty much every member of every group that visits the project asks me that. Also, all Costa Ricans think that because I've already got my bachelor's, I've got my life figured out. As Dwight from the office would say, "False!" The frank answer is I have no idea. I like teaching, but I really don't want to be a slave to research while trying to sneak in some meaningful teaching at the University level. I can't really see myself in a classroom of high-schoolers either - that seems terrifying. I like engineering, solving problems, and making things work better but I somehow can't see myself sitting behind a desk crunching numbers all day to make the perfect all-weather tire or ideal lawnmower for a big company. How does that benefit mankind? I usually answer them that I have a unique conglomerate of interests and talents and that I'll know the opportunity or niche God has for me when I see it. (I also think I used two SAT words in that last sentence.)

Yesterday afternoon a group arrived from UGA Wesley. They're so far proving to be very hard workers and lots of fun. It's nice to have more college-age kids to hang out with who are at the same age-of-many-life-choices as I am.

Brian's girlfriend and my good friend Rosa is also visiting right now. Yaaaay! We're keeping her busy with little outings and she's also helping with the team. Yanira is also thrilled to have another girl in the house, and one who can keep pace with her in Spanish! It's also great for me to have a close girlfriend to talk to who has known me for more than just a few months. That's one of the hardest things about being here for me - no other unmarried English-speaking girls to talk to. And let's face it, sometimes boys have about as much ability to sympathize as a tree stump. Ha. Don't tell them I said that.

Alrighty well my best student Victor just arrived and even though we're both really tired from construction all day, he will learn sine, cosine, radians, and the unit circle today. Anyone else interested in signing up for classes?

Love,
-Julie

3 comments:

Laura Ann. said...

I miss you a lot right now.

I know God is going to show you your niche, babe. And I am super excited to see what He does with you!

Unknown said...

Great. I'm a tree stump. Thanks.

I think I've got the unit circle down pretty pat, but I'm sure we can find a topic for you to educate me on. Like, how to be sympathetic. Or empathetic, even.

And remember that I'm always down for explaining quantum mechanics if you've got some spare time and want your brain to explode...

Peace,
Parker

Jonathan said...

Unit Circle in short:

180 deg = pi
U.C. coordinates for 45 deg = (sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2)
U.C. coordinates for 30 deg =
(sqrt(3)/2, 1/2)
U.C. coordinates for 90 = (1,0)

oh man, somewhat useful high school math is still in my head somewhere.


And parker, I think men have the "pathetic" field down to a T when it comes to strong, beautiful women!