Sunday, May 11, 2008

Leaving Hopkins

It's very sad to be leaving Johns Hopkins after my four years here. It took me almost two years to settle in and find great church friends, and now I have to leave them. We'll keep in touch of course, but I will miss them all very much. It is also unfortunate that we all came together in such a weird city as Baltimore, as none of us really want to stay around here for too long after graduation.

I'm excited for what's coming next: a summer of working at home, and then 10+ months in Costa Rica. Afterwards, I'll be starting in Fall of 09 as a graduate student at Stanford. That's the plan as of now, but it may very well change throughout the next year and a half.

I set up this blog so that family and friends can keep track of me through it all, especially during the time when I am in Costa Rica. It will be difficult to make phone calls, and I will have limited ability to respond to personal emails.

For those of you who don't know, I will be volunteering as a teacher in English and Math at the Abraham Project in San Jose. I will be teaching younger children in the daycare center three days a week and will be teaching adults/youth in the evenings. I will also do some construction work, and will maybe get to put my engineering skills to use as the project is planning to put a retractable roof over a soccer field for their community center. I don't know all of the details yet, but I'll post more as soon as I know!

<3 Julie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie! Much love, here is the chronicle of my adventures in Japan:

http://andyinmiyagi.wordpress.com/

-Andy

Anonymous said...

Hi from Tennessee!! Our team got home late Saturday night and we're all exhausted but excited about what we experienced in Costa Rica and can't wait to get back next year.

We grew to love you and Brian in just one week; you are great examples of what young people should be. Keep up the good work!